In one of my college courses, we had a unit on the psychological
effects of propaganda and advertising. It focused mostly on the work of psychologist
Robert Cialidini and his Six Principles of Influence. These are tools often used
my marketers and salespeople to persuade people to buy their products. When I
heard these, it made me absolutely sick. I immediately recognized multiple
times in my life when I had been conned by these very same tactics. I already
had a general dislike for salespeople and this made it worse. I couldn’t
believe that people would knowingly and intentionally manipulate people for
their own personal gain. What disturbed
me even more is that some of these principles existed in Preach My Gospel,
which is the manual they use to train missionaries. Of course, it was dressed
up in religious jargon rather than psychological terms, but they were unmistakably
there. I’ll explain later how I resolved
my issues with these ideas, but first let’s look at what some of these
principles are.
I’ll be covering just a couple examples to give you a
general idea, but if you want to read more, start here: http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/six-principles-influence.htm
One of tools salespeople use is called reciprocity. The idea
is that when somebody gives something to you, or does something for you, you
feel obligated to return the favor. I had an experience with this when shopping
for housing in college. One particular management company gave me a goody bag
with a free jump drive, pen, and coupons when I took a tour of their
apartments. Other places you’ll see it used is at car service places like Les
Scwabb or Jiffy Lube. They’ll usually offer free brake inspections, because the
chances of you having your car serviced by them after receiving a free
inspection is extremely high. Similarly, the church offers free Bibles and
videos on T.V. spots and pass-along cards as a way to get a foot in the door
for missionary work.
Another tool is social proof. This is the one at work behind
peer pressure. I heard it just this week in a commercial with the tagline, “30
million customers can’t be wrong”. This is a pretty broad category, and it is
implemented in many different ways. Say you’re at a new buffet restaurant. It’s not a fast food place, but it’s not
exactly a typical sit-down either. Do you leave a tip? You’ll probably look
around at other tables to see if other people are leaving tips or not. We’re
just hard-wired to think this way. It happens in classrooms as well. Let’s say
the teacher is talking about something, and you simply don’t get it. But no one
else is raising their hand and asking questions. What do you do? It seems that
everyone else gets it; will you look stupid if you ask? This one comes into
play during testimony meetings in church. Everyone else goes up and says stuff
like, “I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is the one true church”.
What do I say? I think I believe, but I’m not that certain. Will people think I don’t have a testimony or am not
as valiant if I don’t use language like that?
One more related principle is that we tend to give more
credence to things we hear more often. In one study I heard about, they
surveyed participants asking them to choose from a list what they believed were
the most common crimes in their area. The researchers also did a count of how
often these crimes were reported in the local news media and found the actual
crime statistics for the areas. When they compared the participants’ responses,
they found that their answers did not line up with the actual statistics, but
mirrored the media coverage almost exactly. Because more severe crimes, like
homicide or assault received more press coverage, people assumed they happened
more frequently than they actually did. Everyone knows that Macs are better
than PCs for graphics and multi-media applications. But are they really? How
did we start believing this? Have you personally done any kind of research on
the subject? I would argue that we just heard it frequently enough that we
started accepting it as true, even without hard evidence.
Learning about these principles really caused me to question
why I believed what I believed. I became suspicious of religious indoctrination
I received while growing up in the church. Here’s one important thing to
remember though that critics often forget to mention; these principles of
influence are not just used by con artists and power hungry organizations. They
are used by our true friends and by people living genuinely Christ-like lives
as well. For example, the principle of reciprocity we talked about earlier
could be summarized by saying “Do unto others as you would have done unto you”
or “In order to have a friend, you must be a friend first.” These principles
are simply tools. The same knife that can be used to stab someone can also be
used to help prepare a nice meal for them. It is when you take one of these
principles and rip it out of its context and use it as a tool to manipulate
people to gain material wealth or further your own private agenda that it takes
on a covering of evil.
I want to go back to the “everyone knows that Macs are
better” idea real quick. On my mission, I remember skeptics seemed to think
that the only reason we believed is because we were raised Mormon. While they
may be absolutely right, they forget that it goes both ways. Perhaps the only
reason they don’t believe is because
they weren’t raised that way. What
one side calls indoctrination and brainwashing, the other side may call
properly educating our children and teaching them the difference between right
and wrong. We are all subject to being influenced by those around us. There is
not a single person above it. I started becoming keenly aware of this after I
had participated in one of the online forums for disaffected Mormons for a
couple of months. The general feeling on most of these boards is that you are naïve
if you think you can go back to believing the church is true. And after you
hear that enough times, you begin to think it is true, regardless of what you
may have believed before. Here’s the thing though; the people on these boards
do not represent everyone that has been through a faith struggle. After a
while, I realized that the board was pretty much run by the same five or six
people who had been hanging around for years. The other participants showed up
in the middle of their crisis, stayed for a few weeks, and moved on. Most of
the people who were further into their crisis or had resolved things weren’t on
these boards. There are a lot of voices you simply do not hear, and at least
some of them do go back to believing. At times I wondered if they actually existed,
but since I have started this blog, I have found out that someone I know personally
is one of them.
(Just to clarify, I have nothing against the people on these support boards. They were an great source of support to me during the most painful stages of my crisis).
(Just to clarify, I have nothing against the people on these support boards. They were an great source of support to me during the most painful stages of my crisis).
So, knowing that we are subject to psychological influence
from outside sources and that it is a fact of life, what do we do? Rather than
be cynical and question the motives of everyone around us, or try to prove that
we are strong enough to not be influenced, I have a better suggestion. Why not
choose to surround ourselves with people we want
to be like and allow ourselves to be
influenced by them? I’m not suggesting that we should only be friends with a
certain, narrow-minded group of people. I think sometimes we can learn the most
from people who are not like us. But the idea of choosing your friends wisely
is not just an old-fashioned dogmatic statement. We will be influenced and shaped by those closest to us. Be conscientious
about who you choose to influence you.
Fun thoughts. I'm now reading up on the 6 principles!
ReplyDelete